Saturday 18 April 2009

Relight My Fire - Which is the best version??


In an earlier post on this blog I stated that I thought that the Dan Hartman version of this track was the best bar none. However, I was then informed that the version played at the Hacienda was the Julian Jumpin Perez version.
I've manged to get hold of a copy of the Julian Jumpin Perez remix
In my opinion I still think that the Dan Hartman version is the best of them all, but the Julian Jumping Perez remix is very good. There's also a Joe Smooth remix which is also excellent.
To me nothing beats the Dan Hartman version, the intro is fantastic and is pure disco brilliance, then it builds into the true dance classic which we all know it is.
What do you think??
P.S. All Take That/Lulu versions should be destroyed immediately, as they only helped to tarnish a fantastic record.

Dan Hartman (feat. Loleatta Holloway) 
- Vertigo / Relight My Fire

Julian Jumpin Perez - Relight My Fire
(Julian Jumpin Perez Remix)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi
I was always looking for other versions of this classic and would love to get to hear this one.... thank u

Anonymous said...

top bombing of a site, wud very much like to contribute, classic stuff on here, dj a retro nite myself and got to say some great stuff on here, wud like very much the pass words for all you have on here if possible. Also how can i post some tunes on here for you also. cheers. my name is JayDavis...mail me at spliffart@hotmail.com i look forward to hearing from you, keep up the cass work and blog site..peace long live the classics

Woochifer said...

Listening to some of the "modern" versions of this song only reinforces the stature and genius of Dan Hartman's original. Hartman not only wrote the song and did the main vocals, but he also produced, arranged, engineered, and played guitar, bass, and keyboards. This is a very meticulously crafted song, and Hartman had a hand in just about every note.

Another thing worth noting is that this song came out at the tail end of disco's heyday. As a result, it largely embraces and expands on disco's signature sounds and excesses. I view the song as a sort of last hurrah for disco before the backlash came down and threw dance music in a very different direction.

Because of this, no one can really do a remake of this song without stripping down Hartman's elaborate arrangements. And it's that wildly excessive production that makes Hartman's version the classic that it is.

If you want to focus on the instrumentation and hear just how intricately Hartman laid out the entire production, someone posted a instrumental version that I'd never heard before on YouTube. Well worth checking out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMtA7CB2vuo